About us

Dundee Women’s Trail

A bit of history

 

We aim to provide clients with a friendly, personal service combined with a practical approach.  Our lawyers can advise on many aspects, including:-

Estate Agency

Property Purchase, Sale and Lease

Mortgage Advice

Other Conveyancing matters

Preparation of Wills

Executry Administration

Inheritance Tax

Trusts

Guardianships

Powers of Attorney

Civil Court

Criminal Court

Legal Aid

Matrimonial / Divorce

Family Law / Children’s Hearings

Adoption / Safeguarding

Employment Law / Tribunals

Personal Injury

Debt Collection

Mental Health Law           

With contacts throughout the legal world, we are often instructed by, or receive referrals from, members of the Faculty of Advocates, Procurators Fiscal, Police Officers, the Health Boards and other professionals.

Our offices are centrally located, only a few minutes’ walk from the railway station, and we are proud of our close association with the nearby University of Dundee, with several of our solicitors and former partners having been graduates and / or tutors, and many of  the University staff as clients.

Top...
...............................................................................................................................................................................

Dundee Women’s Trail

Our office buildings are situated within a listed terrace in Nethergate, with our main office at Number 136 having been the birthplace of one Frances Wright in 1795.  As such the building is included within the Dundee Women’s Trail, a trail through the city to commemorate twenty-five amazing women whose lives touched Dundee.  After leaving Dundee, Fanny Wright became famous in the USA as a lecturer and writer who campaigned for women’s rights, free love and the emancipation of slaves, all well ahead of her time.  More information is available at www.dundeewomenstrail.org.uk.

Top...
...............................................................................................................................................................................

A bit of history

The firm of Lawson Coull & Company was formed in 1970 following the amalgamation of the firms of J Grafton Lawson & Co and Melville Graham & Stewart and the new firm moved into offices at 136/138 Nethergate, Dundee (part of an historical terrace known as “Miln’s Building”).  Shortly afterwards, Lawson Coull & Company merged with David Duncan & Son and the firm of Lawson Coull & Duncan was formed.

Miln’s Building was built on the instructions of a local builder (James Miln) around 1790.  It is one of the earliest imitations modelled on the Edinburgh New Town flatted terraces, but also incorporated local details.  At the time of construction the building was situated adjacent to the sea wall, before land was reclaimed to allow the formation of the railway.  The building has been a Category A Listed Building since 1965.  More information can be found about this at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Top...
...............................................................................................................................................................................